Slip and Slide

Posted by on | |

Perhaps it is just me, but I don't quite feel like I am standing on solid ground anymore. The pavements I walk seem to be ever-moving and shifting. I have this feeling that I am walking on a "Slip 'n Slide" struggling to hold my balance in a "there are no norms" world.

When I was young, oh so many years ago, I felt there was constancy to my world. The earth beneath my feet held fast and there were ideas and actions that were held in common with those around me. There were unquestioned behaviors that we all could depend on.

It was important that I put forth my best effort in all things. "Half-hearted" and "half-assed" were not acceptable. There was a sense of pride and I wanted to do things the best I could. Now it seems that "good enough" is just fine. Let's plaster that hole in the wall with toothpaste and forget about. Now there's a blob of fluoride-enriched dental cleaning product on the wall, but what's the big deal?

I understood that taking care of my appearance and hygiene was a good thing. I took effort with myself because I wanted to feel good about me. This might not have tracked 100% during my hippie days, but hey, at least I was clean and my "flower" child attire was not a complete "show and tell." Now, we seem to let it all hang out (quite literally) and if you are offended by my sweaty bare shoulder resting against yours in an airplane, well that's tough!

There was a sense of community in my bit of a much-smaller Miami. I knew the names of all the people who lived on our street and they knew mine. I said "Hello" to people and they said "Hello" to me. I even knew which dogs belonged where. Today we are lucky if we even recognize who lives next door. And to reach out and actually say "Hello!" is often seen as a scary leap into the unknown.

There used to be things you just didn't do! You didn't spit on the sidewalk. You didn't blast music out of your car and "rock and roll" those around you. You didn't speak loudly and argue in restaurants. You didn't scream at people in traffic. You didn't park your car in the middle of someplace and just get out. You didn't push in front of other people. You didn't ignore someone who could use a hand. Now, it seems we are always out for "me" first. Let me get mine and screw you about getting what you may need.

Of course our world has changed a lot. We are now a multicultural society with different beliefs and customs that make it more difficult to navigate our interactions with others. But is human kindness and respect for others a "cultural" thing? Or, have we just let common decency slide--because we can?


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment